|WHAT IS A PENILE PROTHESIS?
It consist of silicone or bioflex cylinders (biocompatible substance with the body), with an anatomical structure. It is introduced in pairs of two inside the penile corpora cavernosa. They produce the necessary rigidity for satisfactory sexual intercourse.
WHAT DOES PENILE IMPLANT SURGERY CONSIST OF?
There are various methods for implanting a prothesis. The average surgery time is 45 minutes with local or loco-regional anaesthesia. There are three types of incisions: the infra-pubic incision (in the abdomen, above the penis), the incision on the penis, and the scrotal incision (in the scrotum, under the penis).
LONG IS POST SURGERY IN-CLINIC STAY?
As it is a minor surgery, the post-operation period does not require
specific care: the patient can leave the clinic within the 12-24 hours
after the intervention, except diabetic patients who are recommended a
minimum in-clinic stay of 48 hours. The patient may restart a normal sexual
activity after approximately 3 or 4 weeks.
A PROTHESIS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR IMPOTENCE?
No, but in 10% of cases it is the only
solution to ED problems that were untreatable some years ago. It
is a relatively new discovery in medical science that solves many ED problems.
MANY TYPES OF PRÓSTHESIS ARE AVAILABLE?
There are five main types of prothesis:
- Hydraulic (one piece)
Hydraulic (two pieces)
Each of these types has its own characteristics, it’s advisable
to consult the doctor to make an informed choice.
The malleable prosthesis consists of two cylinders that are implanted
inside the corpora cavernosa. The position of the cylinders is adjusted
upwards for sexual intercourse or downwards for daily activities.
to use (best option for men with impaired dexterity).
- Simple surgical procedure, due to the absence of mechanical components.
- It is the least expensive prothesis.
penis is permanently rigid, (not evident when clothed).
- The penis does not have such a natural appearance like in some other
PROSTHESIS (ONE PIECE)
Two cylinders are implanted in the corpora cavernosa of the penis.
The cylinders contain a sterile saline solution that moves in its interior
to give rigidity and flaccidity to the penis, allowing the patient to
control the erection.
- Simple surgical procedure.
- The erection is more natural than with a malleable prothesis.
- More natural appearance in flaccid state than with a malleable prothesis.
- The erection and flaccid states are not as rigid as with a 3 piece
hydraulic prosthesis due to the smaller quantity of liquid inside the
- Around 5% chance of mechanical failures due to liquid leaks or breakage.
This is more frequent than in a 3 piece prosthesis.
- Some ability is required to active the implant, there is a learning
Involuntary erections may take place.
PROTHESIS (TWO PIECES)
This prosthesis consists of two components: a pair of cylinders
interconnected by tubes and a pump. The pump is implanted in the scrotum,
between the testicles, and the cylinders are implanted in the corpora
cavernosa. The device is filled with a sterile saline solution.
- Small pump, comfortable and easy to use.
physiological than a malleable or one piece hydraulic prosthesis.
- The flaccid stage is achieved easily and quickly in only 4 or 5 pumping
- Some ability is required to active the implant, the activation /
deactivation system is easier than in a one piece prosthesis.
- It has more mechanical components than a malleable prosthesis.
PROTHESIS (THREE PIECE)
This prosthesis has three components: a reservoir, two cylinders
and a pump, connected between them by tubes. The reservoir is implanted
under the abdominal muscles and behind the pubis and it is filled with
a sterile saline solution. The cylinders are implanted in the corpora
cavernosa of the penis, and the pump is placed in the scrotum, between
- It provides the most natural-looking erection.
- With more liquid in the reservoir, the cylinders are expanded in
width and length.
- Firmer, more complete erections than with previously described prothesis.
- When deactivated, the penis is softer and more flaccid than with
other penile prothesis.
- Its management is easier than other penile prothesis.
- There is a learning curve to operate the prosthesis.
- It has more mechanical components than the other prothesis.
is a possibility for involuntary erections to take place.
IS THE MORE SUITABLE PROSTESIS?
The selection of the best-suited prosthesis for every case will
depend on the anatomy of the penis as well as on the pathology that causes
ED. The patient’s type of sexual activity will also be taken into
THE PROSTHESIS NOTICEABLE TO OTHER PEOPLE?
There is a difference between hydraulic prosthesis and the malleable
ones. Hydraulic ones are totally unnoticed, being having a shower in the
gym or with his partner. Malleable prothesis or non-hydraulic ones are
more noticeable since they always maintain the penis in an erect state.
They become comfortable as soon as the patient becomes used to it.
NORMAL SEXUAL ACTIVITY BE PERFORMED WITH A PROSTHESIS?
Yes. The prothesis provides erections of optimum rigidity.
THE PROSTHESIS CAUSE AN ERECTION TO BE PAINFUL?
No, by no means, once the recovery period post surgery is though,
the patient will not experience pain.
IT NECESSARY TO CHANGE THE PROSTHESIS AFTER A PERIOD OF TIME?
Prosthesis have a lifetime guarantee however, it is impossible
to predict the exact number of years they will continue to work with no
flaws. As is the case with any another biomedical device, penile implants
are subject to the wear and tear failures that occur in time in approximately
6 % of cases. If you an penile implant and you notice any change in its
functioning, you should consult your urologist-andrologist.
ARE THE RISKS OF PENILE IMPLANT SURGERY?
The surgery involves little risk if it is done by an expert surgeon.
It is necessary to avoid the possibility of infection at all costs. Under
normal circumstances surgery is done with local anaesthesia and in occasions
it is ambulatory.